Sunday, December 22, 2013

Our adventures in Cancun Mexico

On Sunday, December 8th, Jim informed me that we were going to Mexico on Friday the 13th.  I exclaimed that I was still in school and please wait until I am done.  He said it had to be now and that I could just bring my computer and do my homework in Mexico.  I was in charge of the Ward dinner potatoes and rolls on Friday and now I would not be attending the party.  I had a lot of things to quickly take care of and do homework.
Thursday afternoon we drove to Spokane and spent the night in a hotel so we only had to wake up at 4:00 am. Winter is here in Washington and snow has began to fall so we could not chance the weather being bad that early in the morning.  We had a great night, spending time in the pool and hot tub.
Friday our travels to Cancun went perfectly and we arrived in the late afternoon.  After getting settled I worked on some assignment for school.
Saturday we visited the hotel zone and then returned for more hours of homework.

Sunday we took a cab to church because we hadn't figured out the bus system.  It was located in the middle of a very poor part of town.  The cab driver was very leery of our destination.  It was good for Jim to experience church in a language he did not understand.  There were a few other visitors who didn't speak Spanish so they had a Sunday School class for us Americans.  We decided to try the bus system to get back to our hotel.  We went with a newly wed couple to their hotel and then tried to go from their hotel to ours but ours was not in the hotel zone.  We stayed at a hotel by the airport which is out in the middle of no where.  Once we got to the hotel zone the sky let loose and it rained and filled the streets with water. After several hours on a bus and then getting off and walking trying to find the right bus we finally got a cab and returned to our hotel.
Monday we woke up early and walked to a transfer station to join a tour group going to Xel-Ha.  We were told to wait by a sign not far from the hotel.  We saw a bus go by but it didn't stop.  We were confused and ran to follow the bus but it disappeared around the corner so we went back to our sign.  Another bus stopped and a tour guide got out and then the bus took off again.  The tour guide asked us if we were lost.  He helped us walk around a few more corners to the transfer station and we made it to our bus in time for our tour.  We had a great time and left at 6:00 pm.  The traffic was really bad and we didn't get back to our hotel until 9:30 pm.  We took a steam shower that night to relax.














Tuesday we took a taxi to the Hard Rock Hotel to join a tour to Chichen Itza. It rained hard all night so the streets were filled with water. During the three hour bus ride the tour guide told us all sorts of interesting information about the Mayan people and the history of Chichen Itza.  We stopped at a restaurant for lunch and then on to the site. It has been raining most of the trip but when we got to the site it stopped raining and was perfect for taking pictures. We broke up into two groups, one English speaking and one Spanish speaking.  Our tour guide took us around and gave us more information about the Mayan people and the city.  We were left with one hour to go on our own to take pictures and explore.  Jim took some great pictures.  He was taking pictures the whole time during the tour and after.  We boarded the bus again at 5:00 and headed back to the hotel.   Once we got back I started studying for my math final.  I finally went to bed at 1:00 am.









Wednesday morning I got up and studied some more and then we took a bus to downtown Cancun and went shopping.  It was quite the experience.  Everyone wants you to buy their things and take just one Mexican minute to look at their shop.  We spent several hours and then walked out to the main road and tried to find the only bus that would take us back to our hotel.  We probably walked for an hour and finally got on the right bus for our hotel. I would suggest if you go to Cancun you get a hotel on the hotel strip or in downtown Cancun.  As soon as we returned I worked on my math until we finally finished(group final) around 10:00 pm.
Thursday we took the shuttle to the airport and flew to Denver.  It took a long time to get through customs so by the time we had our bags rechecked Jim took off running to the gate, hoping there were seats on that flight.  In his hurry he left his backpack at the end of security by my stuff so I had two backpacks and my carry on suitcase to take to the gate at a run. We found out the flight was delayed for another hour so we got something to eat.  The flight went out full so we called Trissa and she came and got us. We spent the night at Trissa's and then the next day because there was only one flight to Spokane which left at 9:05 pm. I took my 3 hour American history final at Trissa's Friday morning.  Finally I am finished with this semester.  We spent the afternoon shopping with Trissa and Gavin.  The flight was delayed until 10:45 that night but we did get seats on the flight.  We arrived home at 3:00 am.

No comments: